Rough day for TSLA shorts

Vexar

The stock market was brutal for anyone short-selling (betting a stock losing value) TSLA today after-market. 

Tesla reported their quarterly earnings.  Their stock just jumped 20%.  Earnings were $1.91 / share and the analysts predicted a $0.20 loss / share to $0.69 loss / share, which means they were off in space with their predictions.  That's with the new construction in Shanghai going on, although I think they are done with everything except the battery plant because they are already making cars and shipping batteries in from Nevada.  Cash gains rose up to a $5.3Bn position from $4.9Bn before.  For reference, the almighty Ford is at $22Bn in cash, and Tesla gained 2x as much cash flow last quarter at $400M.

If Trump gets impeached, how will that affect the price of TSLA?

On 10/23/2019 at 8:26 PM, Vexar said:

If Trump gets impeached, how will that affect the price of TSLA?

It either doesn't matter or would be a slight positive. Uncertainty is hard on the market but government gridlock is generally good (mainly because of the reduction of uncertainty) 

The heavy lifting appears to be nearly complete on figuring out volume manufacturing for the 3 so now TSLA can replicate the process to multiple factories around the world. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a future US East location get announced now that a template is figured out.

Biggest TSLA risk is economic downturn before the 3 is at price parity with ICE. If price is the same, TSLA will win every time. 

Can I go on record now and say energy (solar/powerwall/powerpack) will be just a big a market as the cars? I also think that there will be a huge market to recycle battery packs in 3-5 years from cars into stationary systems. TSLA will be well positioned in that market if they choose to.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:10 AM, Jay Hanke said:

It either doesn't matter or would be a slight positive. Uncertainty is hard on the market but government gridlock is generally good (mainly because of the reduction of uncertainty) 

My view is that gutting the anti-environment leadership at the EPA will be a slight positive.  That's assuming the president steps down after being impeached, but that's to your point that it won't matter because he won't step down. 

Out here in CA where millions are without power until Wednesday (thanks, PG & E), yeah, I think home energy solutions are a very attractive product.  It is crazy seeing a fully-developed residential hillside in the Bay Area that is 99% dark and there are 2-3 houses with their lights on. 

I think Tesla is already more diversified than any US auto company.  I disagree that the greatest risk to Tesla is price parity with the 3 and an ICE because I don't think they ever want to sell the Chevy Cruze or Ford Focus price point.   Such cars will never drive themselves or be as technologically advanced.  Tesla has increased the value of a car by increasing what it can do.  Their robo taxi thing... the promise is that your car will become its own Uber driver.  I think Tesla's greatest risk is its dependence on Elon Musk.  Should he say "later, gator, I'm moving to Mars" or get shoved out by a zealous SEC move, yeah, I think that's an instant game over.  I do not think that is true of SpaceX or Neuralink.  I think the secondary threat to Tesla is PG & E. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vexar said:

I think Tesla is already more diversified than any US auto company.  I disagree that the greatest risk to Tesla is price parity with the 3 and an ICE because I don't think they ever want to sell the Chevy Cruze or Ford Focus price point.   Such cars will never drive themselves or be as technologically advanced.  Tesla has increased the value of a car by increasing what it can do.  Their robo taxi thing... the promise is that your car will become its own Uber driver.  I think Tesla's greatest risk is its dependence on Elon Musk.  Should he say "later, gator, I'm moving to Mars" or get shoved out by a zealous SEC move, yeah, I think that's an instant game over.  I do not think that is true of SpaceX or Neuralink.  I think the secondary threat to Tesla is PG & E. 

I agree all these steps are to get data for robo taxis so I don't think they could do anything cheaper. I feel when they could be that cheap there would be more money in keeping it for their own taxi fleet than selling it anyways.
I don't think Elon is ever gonna give up Tesla but I can see people trying to push him out which would drastically effect the company. I don't think it would last long without him especially this early on. In 40 years he should have it set to run without him but hopefully the vision is never lost.

• Like 1