Funny video: What if everything ran on gas?

Matt Christian

Thanks Mike for keeping us all honest and linking to the original video. Due to the way the rip-off version ended so abruptly/strangely, I suspected there was an previous/former variant somewhere. Unfortunately I didn't know/recognize it.

Proper credit should be given to Nissan's original advertising/marketing team for such an interesting commercial concept.

• Like 2

I remember that Leaf ad when it came out. How much of YouTube is stolen content?  This is exactly the sort of behavior that we, as Tesla owners, need to avoid.  It breed enmity from other EV owners and that is unhelpful.  Now I'm confused with the Volt at the end.  It was originally a hit piece as Leaf and Volt were neck-and-neck in the market.  So petty.  Why repeat the behavior?

Edited by Vexar
  • Like 1

Thank you @Eric Jackson for removing the original embedded video per my request. I stopped listening/watching to content from that the "Tesla Owners Online" guy, who made the rip-off / stolen version.

Interesting history from @Vexar. I don't see how the Chevy Volt had to lose market share for the Nissan LEAF to win, or vice versa. I've met plenty of happy owners for both brands/vehicles. I'm still bummed GM stopped manufacturing the Volt. You made very good points about keeping civility and avoiding bad behavior.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:49 PM, Matt Christian said:

Interesting history from @Vexar. I don't see how the Chevy Volt had to lose market share for the Nissan LEAF to win, or vice versa. I've met plenty of happy owners for both brands/vehicles. I'm still bummed GM stopped manufacturing the Volt. You made very good points about keeping civility and avoiding bad behavior.

The Volt and Leaf fight was simply part of EV history.  Why was this important?  Ask Carlos Ghosn, it was a fight that Nissan picked to which GM didn't respond.  I saw a truckload of Nissan Leaf cars headed SB on Interstate 5 (stated "the five" in colloquial terminology) yesterday.  I saw a total of five truckloads of Tesla vehicles during the same trip.  with over 500 miles on road of that freeway and a bit of State highway 99, I saw Tesla vehicles as close as two right together and as far apart as one every 100 vehicles that went by.  Kettleman City was never more than 75% full and a majority of stations under 20 superchargers were 85% full or over capacity.  I think some of this has to do with the prevalence of charging at outlet malls on Thanksgiving weekend on the route.  I assume waits in Los Angeles and San Francisco were insane.

At the time of the Leaf-Volt fight, which was egged on by InsideEvs.com, I think, I thought to myself "wait until the Model S gets to volume."  It did.  The model S began to outsell both of them and I never saw mention of the fight again.  Nowadays, the Model III is outselling Toyota Corolla.  The only people who see this as a competition are the ones who like seeing competitions where none exist.  The real competition is for those ICE drivers who have their excuses, from cost, a spurious metric they don't care about, convenience, or the long tailpipe argument of a dirty power grid. 

Someone important to me is often in Venice.  That city is ruined.  The marshes are getting swamped by aqua alta, but more importantly deluged by the Carninval Cruise ship wakes.  Work is sending me to Miami in January (my life sucks), a city which floods 4x a day during Spring high tides.  The capital of Indonesia is moving to Borneo from Jakarta because that city is lost to the ocean.  In all three cases, it is not simply the rising oceans at work, but poor civil engineering.  The simple fact is that we are starting to lose cities.  The places that are closer to the ocean have more respect for it.  I don't know that the planet is getting warmer, but I do know that it is changing and we are at fault by changing the atmosphere and the pH of the ocean due to pollution.  This is not something people in Texas largely care about.  I am particularly proud of how important it is to Minnesota because of its distance from and irrelevance to the ocean. 

Edited by Vexar
  • Like 1