New motor idea or just fantasy?

mike

1 hour ago, Aaron M said:

Do we know how Teslas magnetic motor is constructed/functions? I'm not gonna say this will be any better if we don't know the competition

There are schematics out there somewhere - I know some blogs have put stuff out but how much is real and how much is speculation is up for debate.

On 8/13/2019 at 2:40 PM, Aaron M said:

Do we know how Teslas magnetic motor is constructed/functions? I'm not gonna say this will be any better if we don't know the competition

Depends on which one.  They all fundamentally rely on magnetic induction, but the details depend on the specific design.

High school E&M physics classes teach the fundamentals, in particular Faraday's law & Lenz's law.  Building on that, there is a stator (a fixed part, connected to the battery) and a rotor (a moving part, connected to the wheels).  When the accelerator is pushed, electricity is drawn from the battery, generating a magnetic field in the stator to which the rotor turns.  When the accelerator is let off at speed, if possible, the rotor generates a magnetic field which in turn generates an electric current in the stator, charging the battery.

Beyond that, different designs use different materials (based on cost, weight, etc), and both AC and DC motor designs exist.

Here's a good video for the visually inclined:

On 8/13/2019 at 8:15 AM, mike said:

Caught in a landslide.. there's no escape for electron'a'cy

spacer.png

https://newatlas.com/linear-labs-hunstable-electric-motor/60974/

Sounds like an interesting improvement on the traditional electric motor designs.  Removing the single-speed gearbox is huge.  Removing the DC-DC converter should also improve efficiency.  Though the permanent magnet switched reluctance motors found in the Model 3 (and front motor on Raven S) is already 97% efficient.

41 minutes ago, Will Andrews said:

Sounds like an interesting improvement on the traditional electric motor designs.  Removing the single-speed gearbox is huge.  Removing the DC-DC converter should also improve efficiency.  Though the permanent magnet switched reluctance motors found in the Model 3 (and front motor on Raven S) is already 97% efficient.

But what if you could gain another 1% *and* keep the power at higher speeds?

I can tell you from experience that once you break through the 70-90mph mark you will notice a reduction in pull. At this point air resistance is really kicking in and there just isn't enough oomph left in that band.