Supercharger Poll

Jay Hanke

Upper Midwest Superchargers needed  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Where do we need more superchargers in the upper Midwest?

• Twin Cities
    • Marshall, MN
    • Bemidji, MN
    • Watertown, SD
    • North Shore, MN
    • Mankato, MN
    • Brookings, SD
    • Waterloo, IA
    • Mt Pleasant, IA
    • Ironwood, MI

1 hour ago, Michele Thomson said:

We are road tripping out and back to Glacier National Park.  Having a ND option would be helpful.  I know you excluded "Announced" locations but really....  ND has always been "soon"....

That'll be a while.  😞 Even including the announced "coming" sites there is still a pretty big gap between Dickinson and Billings. Maybe with an overnight at a campground in western MT. Maybe across Canada someday?

I'd personally like to see:

• Bemidji, to bridge the gap between northern MN and points south
  • Warroad and/or International Falls, for those going far north / to Canada
  • Ironwood, MI for trips between Duluth and UP MI
  • Ottumwa or Mt Pleasant, IA for southeastern Iowa (it's otherwise a charging dead zone), also useful for trips towards St Louis
  • Lutsen, MN bridging the gap between Duluth and Thunder Bay or round-trips along the North Shore itself
  • Like 2

Tesla is definitely focusing on routes between population centers. I'd suspect that MN will go on the back burner again as soon as the 94 corridor is finished up. 

I'm surprised that Thunder Bay doesn't have anything cooking on supercharge.io

Looking again at the map, Duluth to Grand Forks would be tight in the winter even with Bemidji. It might need a Grand Rapids as well.

6 hours ago, Jay Hanke said:

Tesla is definitely focusing on routes between population centers. I'd suspect that MN will go on the back burner again as soon as the 94 corridor is finished up. 

I'm surprised that Thunder Bay doesn't have anything cooking on supercharge.io

Looking again at the map, Duluth to Grand Forks would be tight in the winter even with Bemidji. It might need a Grand Rapids as well.

Yes, but, IMO, they’re (still) over focused on urban areas. Which are largely well served by public chargers, and folks who charge at home (or at least most should).

They should spend a bit of time working to shut down arguments that there are any trips that can’t be taken with a Tesla. 

• Like 1

I 100% agree. You want the Superchargers away from where you live. 

In the metro, the fringe is the best. Robinsdale is less than ideal for road trips. 

Elon mentioned a relationship between nearby superchargers/service centers and car sales. So the metro focus might be sales related.

I voted for North Shore and I agree that more fringe locations similar to Oakdale need to happen in the cities. I'd say:

* Lakeville (perhaps by the Target just off 35)

* Maple Grove (where 94 splits into 694 and 494)

* Forest Lake

After all the crucial locations are secured it'd be great to have these secondary locations sort of between the current key points on the interstates like Faribault, Austin, Fergus Falls, Sauk Centre ... The trip planner does a great job of planning out your Supercharger stops on road trips but when the weather turns cold and you've got a MR or SR battery it'd be a lot better to have a greater frequency of chargers.

I'm pretty hopeful that kind of proliferation can happen quicker than people fear because businesses are starting to take notice. That's why we now have a second location in Albert Lea: Dustin Trail saw the business opportunity Superchargers represented. In the next few years we may be surprised to see locations going on-line in places like Ely and other non-interstate locations.

Edited by trevize1138
adding a site

On 8/19/2019 at 9:07 AM, trevize1138 said:

After all the crucial locations are secured it'd be great to have these secondary locations sort of between the current key points on the interstates like Faribault, Austin, Fergus Falls, Sauk Centre ... The trip planner does a great job of planning out your Supercharger stops on road trips but when the weather turns cold and you've got a MR or SR battery it'd be a lot better to have a greater frequency of chargers.

Austin is pretty close to Albert Lea. Faribault or Northfield could serve as a southern fringe site. 

I think a Lakeville site would get more use than a Northfield or Faribault. A site just south of the 35w/35e split in Burnsville  would be a good spot in my opinion. (like the target location mentioned above).

None of these sites really opens up any new territory. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jay Hanke said:

Austin is pretty close to Albert Lea. Faribault or Northfield could serve as a southern fringe site. 

I think a Lakeville site would get more use than a Northfield or Faribault. A site just south of the 35w/35e split in Burnsville  would be a good spot in my opinion. (like the target location mentioned above).

None of these sites really opens up any new territory. 

I'm thinking ahead a couple years to where Tesla's not really trying to cover new territory but where we'll need a higher frequency of charging locations due to there being more Teslas on the road. Not only would an extra location in a place like Faribault mean the ability to handle more total cars but it might be more convenient for some people than a Lakeville location and vice versa. I'm not saying build Faribault first at all: indeed we need Lakeville first. But there will be some people who would find a Faribault location more useful than a Lakeville.

My ideas here are sort of two steps down the road. The very next step are locations on the fringes of the cities like Lakeville. The second would be to sort of double the frequency of charging locations making it more convenient for even more people. If the ideal SOC to start supercharging is closer to 10% and ending around 70% you really do want a greater number of locations to have that work for more people and all their varied routes.

Edited by trevize1138
extra words

Yea, there must be something blocking ND or slowing deployment down. Some of those sites have been sitting in permit for 500+ days.

Winnipeg went into construction status 9 days ago. Maybe Winnipeg and Alex need to be done first according to the master plan?

A Redwing or Lake city would be beneficial to those that travel along the river on those winding roads.....

A Hayward and or an Ashland would also help with WI travels

Edited by Aaron M
Add some locations
  • Like 1