Tesla Model S Vs Porsche Taycan Compared

James Custer

On 8/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, Aaron M said:

The performance S is 345 mi range.... you had the 2.4 correct though

That's some weird correcting of me. I was pretty clear.

I had both parts of my comment correct. I promise, and no editing.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:25 PM, mike said:

That's some weird correcting of me. I was pretty clear.

I had both parts of my comment correct. I promise, and no editing.

Hmm I must've read it wrong

but if all the components are the same I assume you can still get 370 mile range based on what mode you have it set in or is that not the case?

On 9/3/2019 at 11:55 AM, Aaron M said:

but if all the components are the same I assume you can still get 370 mile range based on what mode you have it set in or is that not the case?

Nope, they are 'different' and I think you could get that kind of range but you're gonna have to be a grandma with it.

Moar power!

Of course you could just drive in chill all the time, literally. But that be the boring.

I am impressed that Porsche finally surfaced with this car.  How long has this "Tesla Killer" been stalking the leader now?  It must have driven them nuts trying to keep up with moving specs.  BTW, their curb weight is really high.  Funny how battery density has so much impact on performance.  I'd love to see an all-EVs field race at Laguna Seca sometime, and pit Performance Model 3, Performance Model S, Taycan, and the performance model iPace.  I'd even drive the 3 1/2 hours to watch it!  Make it a 10-lap race. 

Any rumor as to when VW's ID.3 is actually going to be more than vaporware?

8 hours ago, mike said:

I'll keep saying it: More competition is good for everyone.

Some folks wanna poopoo the Taycan and that's just sad.

Including snipes from Elon Musk.  This was actually a topic of discussion at the Sacramento EV club meeting.  Alex from E for Electric brought this up and it turned into a great round table on attitude.  You would have enjoyed being there, Mike. 

What the Taycan has already done to Tesla is forced them to up their game.  They aren't going out to "The Ring" in Germany with a stock car, they can't.  Porsche has figured out how to make a race-worthy consumer BEV.  Do you remember the Electric GT?  It stumbled because although the Model S was amazing in small doses, it couldn't endure a full race without overheating limiting the battery.  Enter the Raven drivetrain offshoot from the Model III.  Suddenly, the Model III is a race-ready car doing hot laps and taking away top times on tracks.  What's missing?  Battery improvements on the Model S, which should outperform the Model III.  That's what is next, I expect.  So, the racing competition is finally on. 

The Jaguar iPace offered performance in a small SUV at competitive prices.  The Taycan offered racing durability performance.  The VW ID.3 and ID.4 are going to bring down the price better than the Kia and Hyundai did because VW is an upscale brand, although Kia and Hyundai are miles/kWh kings.  Ultimately, Tesla is finally seeing real competition in every area.  Even Rivian is promising to out-tech. the Silicon Valley brand.

• Like 1