Welcome to CARB, Minnesota!

Vexar

The State of Minnesota announced today they were adopting the CARB standards.  While not specifically Tesla-related, you will see more kinds of EVs on the roads in a couple years.  The other impact of this is as another state increases the ZEV program, it may mean that EV politics will start to get a little more spicy.  You might also finally see EV perks like carpool lane access, or push-back from anti-EV auto dealers who lobby for even higher EV tab fees. 

Please consider being more active in the community.   That doesn't mean beers and cruises so much, but it does mean volunteering at car events and shows, going to your kids' schools to educate young minds about owning and driving an EV, and showing up for sessions at the State Capitol as we once did in March of 2013 to fight the MADA trying to prevent Tesla from opening the Eden Prairie Service Center.  Don't forget that our club has a special relationship with Hy-Vee, and they often do environmental programs. 

Great job, Minnesota!

• Like 2

I'm a bit concerned about the backlash against EV this announcement is bringing out.

You're 100% correct that the best way forward is direct one-on-one outreach at events. When people see what the cars are like and are able to ask questions in person the experience is enlightening for them. As a side bonus it's totally fun to talk about Tesla's to people who aren't sick of hearing about it.

All these other perks like asking for tax credits/rebates and carpool access really serve to rally those against EVs.

I think we're in a situation where as more force is applied more resistance is created. The experience of riding or better yet driving an EV is the best way to create EV fanatics. Remember, that EVs were generally pretty bad until Tesla came around. When I was a kid we ate red delicious apples, now we have Honeycrisps.

Some people are just afraid of change and I have found older people are afraid of technology and/or are just stuck in their ways .

I talk to all kinds of people about electrification and try to avoid talking about Tesla specifically as to not make it a brand thing. This also allows me to get an understanding how they feel about EVs in general and I've gotten such a range of feedback and concerns its crazy. I think the main thing that will help is just seeing more people using them. Before I got mine I knew 0 people with an electric car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Hanke said:

From the comments it appears that people are resisting being "forced" to electrify. 

Could you share an article with the kw to refine gas? I'd like to add it to my binder when I do shows. esp if there is an infographic. 

let's toss things up on the wall and see what sticks.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/do-gasoline-based-cars-really-use-more-electricity-electric-vehicles-do states .2kWh/gal

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/14/how-gas-cars-use-more-electricity-to-go-100-miles-than-evs-do/ states 8kWh/gal

https://greentransportation.info/energy-transportation/gasoline-costs-6kwh.html has a lot of other numbers.

Good luck! I couldn't find anything that was pin-point/spot-on/official 😞

I just read the below news about MnPASS lanes for new BEV/PHEV. I have a MnPASS transponder but I barely use it honestly. Usually I'm driving in the opposite direction and/or at the wrong times. When I have rarely used MnPASS lanes, usually the regular lanes are not congested anyway so toll only costs like 25 cents OR free since my car has multiple occupants.

Electric Vehicle Incentive—Three Year Pilot Program

MnDOT is implementing a pilot program to encourage people to consider buying and driving an electric vehicle in order to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The three year incentive program provides existing and new MnPASS customers who purchase or lease an electric vehicle between November 1, 2019, and October 31, 2022, a one-time toll credit in their account to pay toll charges for using MnPASS lanes. Individuals who purchase or lease a battery electric vehicle (BEV) will receive a credit of $250 and those who purchase or lease a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) will receive a credit of $125. It applies to the purchase/lease of either new or used EV or PHEV. While we know some MnPASS customers already drive an electric vehicle, this promotion is only for those who purchase/lease a new or different EV/PHEV and is only available during the three year pilot timeframe (11/1/19 - 10/31/22). Proof of purchase, lease or title transfer will be required in order to receive the MnPASS credit

• Like 1

I have never really seen the MnPASS as a worthwhile incentive. For me the only times I would have got use out of it is going to Club events prior to them changing locations more often and even that is questionable since traffic is normally moving. But the idea of saving $250 on using the extortion lane just doesn't seem useful when you already have a disincentive in place with the registration fee, I doubt we have seen the end of that trying to be increased anyways.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 7:42 AM, Jay Hanke said:

From the comments it appears that people are resisting being "forced" to electrify. 

Could you share an article with the kw to refine gas? I'd like to add it to my binder when I do shows. esp if there is an infographic. 

I don’t think there is a good source for this, unfortunately. It varies quite a bit, and depends on whether you include the thermal energy used by refineries via burning various hydrocarbons as opposed to merely drawing from the electric grid. As best as my research could tell. It’s tough to account for all of the variables to make an equitable comparison. 

21 hours ago, Will Andrews said:

I don’t think there is a good source for this, unfortunately. It varies quite a bit, and depends on whether you include the thermal energy used by refineries via burning various hydrocarbons as opposed to merely drawing from the electric grid. As best as my research could tell. It’s tough to account for all of the variables to make an equitable comparison. 

Yea, I was afraid that was the case. This was always the argument against ethanol that the production and refining process used more energy than was produced in fuel.

14 hours ago, Jay Hanke said:

Yea, I was afraid that was the case. This was always the argument against ethanol that the production and refining process used more energy than was produced in fuel.

So make it a question instead of a statement:

"How much electricity is required to process a gallon of gasoline from crude oil?" 

"How many miles does a sea tanker full of crude oil have to travel, followed by a tank trailer and a mixture of rail freight to bring you your 87 octane?"

or, my personal favorite:

"Has our nation gone to war over renewable energy and electric cars?"

I just enjoyed Fleet Week in the SF Bay this weekend.  Surrounded by our nation's best naval forces in one of our most recognized ports, I was struck by how much of our wars of late are caught up in the battles not for sovereignty, human rights, or political idealogues, but the free-flowing commerce of crude. 

Right, official sources:

If you want to understand the refining process, here:

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-and-petroleum-products/refining-crude-oil-the-refining-process.php

and this is how much energy they use to produce, per year:

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_capfuel_dcu_nus_a.htm

Buying electricity alone per year, which isn't the majority of their energy consumption, it is still 48 GWh.  They produce most of their boiling heat from natural gas.

Ethanol is made by using up valuable crop land and potable water.  If MN, IA, IL, and NE would stop growing corn, I think Americans might just get over their addiction to sugar and starch. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 10:48 AM, Vexar said:

If MN, IA, IL, and NE would stop growing corn, I think Americans might just get over their addiction to sugar and starch. 

We would just import it then.

Also: if only we were less fat.. amiright?

21 hours ago, Aaron M said:

The corn you eat and the corn that gets made into ethanol or animal feed are not the same corn (field corn).... just saying
Either way I'm cool with growing less of it, way to many chemicals are involved in my opinion

The corn the cows eat produces the same problems for cows and then we eat them.  My parents taught me at a young age the ills of eating feed corn.  It started off as such an idyllic yarn about a canoe trip, then it got dark, they got hungry, and an uninformed young couple roasted an unpleasant surprise over an open flame.  They went hungry that night, but they were nourished by wisdom and experience. 

To Mike's point, yes, I think The FDA's food pyramid in the 1980's was all kinds of wrong.  There is an argument that it was rigged to support the farmers and had nothing to do with health.

In support of CA farmers, please consider switching to Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk.  It contains no growth hormones, cows, corn, or ethanol.  Unless you have a nut allergy.  Ugh.  Can't win.  Peanuts aren't nuts.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 1:18 PM, Vexar said:

In support of CA farmers, please consider switching to Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk.  It contains no growth hormones, cows, corn, or ethanol.  Unless you have a nut allergy.  Ugh.  Can't win.  Peanuts aren't nuts.

That shit is nasty. Period.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mike said:

That shit is nasty. Period.

You get used to it after about a week.  I have discovered that cow's milk exacerbates my allergies, and I'm keen to reduce my estrogen consumption.  California is about to put warnings on cheese that the estrogen in it can cause cancer to reoccur if you've had it. 

Amazingly off topic. 

There have been some updates to the CARB standard you guys will see in a few weeks.  They just came to our EV club meeting and discussed it.  On the flip side, CA will continue its EV incentive and introduce a road tax on EVs. 

• 2 weeks later...